Monday, June 8, 2015

Update and Summer Plans

I don't have a playable set ready to really share photos of or playtest, but I suppose a short update on just a few of the things I have on hand at the moment wouldn't hurt.

So I went ahead and ordered those old red-cyan anaglyphic 3D glasses, since they're supposed to, in theory, block out one color and let in the other. They were... a little better than the regular PVC filter sheets I tested out some time ago. Sadly the cyan color used in the 3D images is so light that it very barely shows up through the red lens. The cyan PVC materials are also not particularly good at masking out other colors. In fact, it isn't particularly good at masking out its own color which is... a bit sad. There are other options besides the classic red-cyan glasses, though. There is an amber-green option, for example, which may also work out better in an aesthetic sense, as the game is supposed to have more of a primitive tribal aesthetic. Now that I think about it, just research on materials and means of light filtration is a good idea. I don't know why that didn't occur to me until now.



I plan on making a digital prototype for now. I really would like to make an analogue version that makes use of lenses though, because that is freaking cool. The digital prototype should be easy to make, I'll have something up 2 weeks from now. I'll be using the Phaser.io framework on top of html, since I've tested it out and it's reaaallly easy to work with.



At the moment I want to have an analogue variant done and ready to playtest by the end of the summer. I also want to make the multiplayer variant. At this moment in time the two are basically separate games, just linked with a similar premise and affected in its design by the affordances of its platform.

I won't have much to show next week, but I plan on posting some concept art regarding more insect and plant people for the multiplayer variant. For the MMO I want to slowly build up the requisite skills needed to set up the game. So regarding that front I'd mostly be posting artwork, 3D models and updates on any tutorials on networking I've decided to try out.

Also, I really need to start posting regarding literature that is affecting my design decisions. I won't be able to get around to it immediately, but I really do want to make it a regular thing. Perhaps next week, since I'm only posting artwork, I'll say something about some old obscure game I find interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment