Monday, April 13, 2015

Update + multiplayer plan

I'm really sorry for the lack of consistency in my updates. I discussed things a bit with my adviser and we've decided that by the end of the semester I'll have a paper prototype of the game. We also discussed future work that could be done, such as making the game multiplayer or incorporating more novel mechanisms for control, such as the Leap Motion or the Wii. I think making the game multiplayer is a good way for players to gain a sense of the kind of 'us'-ness that so easily arises in communities as well as the kind of barriers that naturally come up when attempting to communicate with 'others.'

With multiplayer signs, gestures, signals would also be able to naturally emerge among community members, thus adding another level of complexity. Perhaps holding a dorky egyptian pose while moonwalking naturally emerges amongst a community as an expression of agreement and great enthusiasm. Or maybe having the avatar shake its head holds a positive meaning in one community, and an offensive one in another. The plus side is that language would build up organically and naturally; the need to implement a system of gestures would be lessened. AI would also not need to be as robust.

Multiplayer, despite its many pluses, is also a hairy beast to handle, so I would slowly build up to the addition of that feature. I would just do a bunch of simple tutorials that would help me get more comfortable with confusing database syncing networking stuff. I have worked on multiplayer support for a group project once in Unity, and been involved (though not in networking) on an MMO with multiplayer for lab once, so I'll be focusing on using Unity. While level-grinding in the Networking skillset is going on, I'll be doing stuff like the aforementioned paper prototype and a split-screen version. Another professor, Dr. Smith, has agreed to help me out with the technical side, so that should be fun. ^_^

I am going to post concept art sometime this week, so that should be fun. It will be colored and everything!

Here's one for now: it is a cherry person.



No comments:

Post a Comment